After Jesus is taken from the cross, his mother Mary holds him in her arms and weeps about his death.
This famous scene is not described in the Bible. Most images also show the mourning St John the Evangelist and Mary Magdalene.
Another word for the scene is pietà.
Related works of art:
- Bellini, Giovanni: Pietà (Milan) (c. 1468)
- Bellini, Giovanni: Pietà (Venice) (c. 1505)
- Borgianni, Orazio: The Lamentation (c. 1612)
- Delacroix, Eugène: Pietà (1850)
- Dürer, Albrecht: Seven Sorrows: The Lamentation (1495-1496)
- Geertgen: The Lamentation of Christ (after 1484)
- Giotto: The Lamentation (1304-06)
- Malouel, Jean: Pieta Tondo (c. 1400)
- Mantegna, Andrea: The Lamentation (c. 1475)
- Michelangelo: Pietà (1499)
- Van der Goes, Hugo: The Lamentation of Christ (after 1479)
- Van der Weyden, Rogier: The Lamentation (c. 1441)
- Van der Weyden, Rogier: The Lamentation of Christ (c. 1460-1464)
- Van Gogh, Vincent: Pietà (1889)
Art and the Bible © 2005 - 2023 artbible.info