The palace of the bishop of Udine stands next to the bishop's cathedral, in the centre of Udine in the Italian region Friuli. The current palace was built at the beginning of the 18th century. It is 74 meters long and 18 meters high.
For the decoration of the interior a relatively unknown artist was hired: the Venetian painter Giambattista Tiepolo. Between 1726 and 1729 he made a series of 28 fresco's with biblical scenes. They are renowned for their right colours. The commission made Tiepolo famous; he would never be out of work again.
Today the building houses the Museo Diocesano and the Gallerie del Tiepolo.
Related works of art: